Sound the trumpets, blow the horns….Listen to Your Mother – St. Louis is beaming with excitement and joy to announce ALMOST HOME, as our 2016 Cause!
Over the past 4 years, it’s been Naomi, Ellie, and my purpose to not only put on the very best, unforgettable, heartwarming show that showcases the unbelievable talent that we have in our great city, BUT to also pick the very best local ‘cause’ to be the recipient of the proceeds of our ticket sales.
For our inaugural show in 2013, we chose CONNECTIONS TO SUCCESS.
In 2014, we were proud to have GIRLS IN THE KNOW as our cause, and in 2015, we were honored to partner with the Family Resource Center.
To us, the most amazing thing about Listen to Your Mother, are the continued relationships we have with cast members and to all of our past Causes. Each year, all of our past recipients continue to partner with Listen to Your Mother in one way or another, mainly because of the friendships we’ve maintained and the strong beliefs and love we have for each other!
Linda Metzler Doty was one of our hilarious cast members in 2014. She is also on the Board of Directors for ALMOST HOME and couldn’t wait to tell us about how, with all their stories about motherhood, they would be a great non-profit cause for Listen to Your Mother to support. Well, we ‘listened to this Mother’ ( J ) and wait until you hear about how ALMOST HOME has made our great city an even greater one!
In a nutshell…Almost Home’s mission is to inspire teenage moms to create better lives for themselves and their children.
Almost Home was founded in 1993 by the Franciscan Sisters of Mary. The Sisters became aware of the absence of accessible housing and support services for homeless teenage moms in the Saint Louis area and took action to address this need. The original Almost Home facility housed 6 teenage moms and their children and was operated solely by the Sisters and several community volunteers. Since its founding, Almost Home has expanded to its current facility, which houses up to 15 mothers and 25 of their children at any one time.
In 2006, Almost Home became licensed to house pregnant and parenting teens in state custody who could not find foster living arrangements with their children. In 2008, Almost Home became a member of the United Way of Greater St. Louis and in 2011, the organization became a key partner in the St. Louis County Children’s Service Fund, receiving fee for service income for providing shelter and services to our clients who formerly resided in St. Louis County.
Though Almost Home has experienced a great deal of change and expansion since its founding, the mission has remained the same: to inspire teenage moms to create better lives for themselves and their children.
If you or someone you know are in need of services please see our In Need of Help page
- 1993 Franciscan Sisters of Mary launch Almost Home in 1993 with the capacity to help 6 young families at a time.
- 1996 Expansion allowed for up to 15 mothers and 25 of their children to be served through transitional housing, support services, and programming.
- 1999 Construction completed on a custom facility with 15 individual bedrooms and family style communal areas (bathroom, living room, fitness room, children’s play room, kitchen, classroom and dining area). This is Almost Home’s current facility.
- 2004 Construction completed on the Almost Home apartment building, this building serves as a subsidized housing option for young mothers in the community and alumni of the Transitional Living Program.
- 2006 Almost Home becomes licensed to serve teen mothers in state custody who could not find foster homes together with their children.
- 2008 Almost Home becomes a United Way member agency.
- 2010 Almost Home develops the Alumni Support Program, which provides 8 years of follow-up services to teenage moms who participated in the Transitional Living Program.
- 2013 Almost Home celebrates 20 years of serving homeless teenage moms and their children.
- November 2014 Almost Home launches its signature event, the Celebration of Grit to honor individuals in the community who display the grit and tenacity that our teen moms must possess in order to succeed.
So, now that you know who our Cause is, please put pen to paper, and send us YOUR STORY!!!!
Submissions close on February 17th and invitations to audition will be issued by February 21st.
BE A PART OF THIS NEW ST. LOUIS MOTHER’S DAY TRADITION
AND JOIN OUR FABULOUS FAMILY!!!
The 4th Annual
LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER — ST. LOUIS
May 7th, 2016
Morning Show: 11am (doors open at 10am)
Afternoon Show: 3pm (doors open at 2pm)
St. Luke’s Hospital Institute for Health Education
232 South Woods Mill Road
Chesterfield, MO 63017