This is it.
Remember that one time when you said that you were going to audition for LTYM next year? Consider this next year. This is your chance to be a part of the LTYM-OKC family, to open your heart and use your voice to share your unique story on stage. And as they say in Hamilton, “Do not throw away your shot.”
You too could have your face and antics captured on film for posterity, just like the 2016 cast shown here.
Everyone has a story to tell and we can’t wait to hear yours. The fifth and final season of Listen To Your Mother Oklahoma City is in the works and we are calling for you to tell your stories.
I’m sure you can think of a million excuses why you shouldn’t take that big step and audition, even though you might want to—but, now is the time to get over your excuses: you don’t have to be a writer, we all want to hear your story and you are good enough—you are great, in fact—and you are ready for this.
Listen To Your Mother is for everyone. You don’t have to be a professional speaker or writer, but you can be—all experience levels are welcome. Listen To Your Mother is about motherhood, and motherhood in one way or another, has impacted us all. Being a mom, not being a mom, having a mom, not having a mom, stories of independence, of struggle, of joy and heartbreak. These are all the things that Listen To Your Mother is about.
Your story is unique. Your perspective matters. Your words are important and can change lives. Seriously, we’ve seen it happen. Whatever your motherhood experience, we want you to audition for Oklahoma City’s 2017 cast and become a part of something much bigger than all of us.
Are you ready to take that first step—to take your shot? Here are the rules:
- Each submission should be about 5 minutes long (give or take a minute or two) when read aloud (roughly 2 pages or 1200 words or so). Please practice before submitting so you know how long your piece will be. Submissions should be emailed to LTYM.OKC@GMAIL.COM, pasted within the text of the email, with 2017 Submission in the subject line.
- Submission deadline is February 13 and audition signups will open February 24. Please note that if your story fits the criteria (see #4 below), you will be asked to audition in person on February 25.
- Please submit only one piece for consideration.
- The theme of the piece must be MOTHERHOOD and this must be a non-fiction work. There are many variations on this theme, so we are looking for a wide range of stories. Any true story about any part of motherhood is what we are looking for.
- We want diversity! If you are funny, we want to hear you. If you are sad, we want to hear you. If you fall anywhere in between, we want to hear you. You don’t have to be a mom or even a woman to submit—stories are welcome from everyone.
- Stories should be appropriate for a PG-13 audience.
- You must be the author and owner of all the rights to your story. If it’s been previously published, that’s fine as long as you retain the rights.
We hope you are as excited as we are for the 2017 show! Please share this post far and wide with friends and family who may be interested in submitting their stories. More information will be posting soon, including our fantastic local cause, dates and venue.
Please note that all cities have their own guidelines and if you’re interested in any other show you should check their local website for details, which will be updated according to their own schedules!by