It’s that time again, folks…sign-ups are open for the Listen To Your Mother: Kansas City show auditions!
Just like last year, we are not taking submissions. All you need to do is snag your audition spot and worry about/write/share your story later. And once again, it will be just the two of us and our smiling faces, there to make you feel at ease and to have the honor of hearing that story.
This is not a show for professional speakers/writers (though we welcome all levels of experience). LTYM is about Motherhood and Motherhood is for EVERYONE. Your voice and story may be the one that reshapes someone’s perspective of life when our 2017 show hits the stage. Your story is unique. Your story is needed. Your voice IS worthy and your words ARE good enough.
Here’s what we’re looking for in Kansas City:
1. IMPORTANT: Each piece must fall between 3-5 minutes when read aloud. This is approximately 2 pages, but will vary widely depending on content and speaking style. PLEASE PRACTICE BEFORE SUBMITTING and edit appropriately to achieve the desired time.
2. The theme of your piece must fall within the topic of “motherhood.” Any true story about any aspect of motherhood is great!
3. We want a diverse mix of true stories. In addition, we’re looking for funny essays, sad essays, and everything in between. You don’t have to be a mom to be in a LTYM show. You don’t even have to be a woman! We welcome all stories of motherhood from all people.
4. You must be the author and owner of all rights to your piece. (Totally fine if it’s been previously published as long as you retain the rights.)
5. All pieces are subject to light editing.
6. You must be available for the following dates/times:
Auditions: March 10th OR 11th
Rehearsal: Sunday, April 9th, 2-5 pm*
Rehearsal: Saturday, April 29th, 9 am-12 pm*
Show Date: May 7th, 11-7 (approximately) at Liberty Hall in Lawrence, KS
*Exact times are subject to change
Appointments will be first-come/first-served until all slots are filled. AUDITION PIECES SHOULD NOT EXCEED 5 MINUTES. If you have any questions, concerns or issues, please email Greta at LTYMkansascity@gmail.com.
Listen To Your Mother auditions are a nurturing and respectful environment where you will read only for the director and producer (Greta Funk and Kathleen Fisher), and we are very friendly. You don’t need to be nervous.
We hope your wheels are turning! If you have any Kansas City-area friends and family, please share this with them, too! Keep checking back here for our charity partner announcement, sponsor news, and our 2017 cast. Let’s go!