A Sparkly Thank You Post

by admin on April 28, 2012

I just wanted to interject a little post here. A reflection… A little something to say “Wow!” and “OhMyGosh!” because this? This experience? Has been incredible.

I have been out of the official work force since my eldest was 15 months old and began pressing his little face against the babysitter’s glass patio door; sadly and silently accepting that I was, once again, leaving him. After piecing my fragile new-mommy heart back together, and completely rearranging our lives, I fell happily and gratefully into the SAHM role and have enjoyed it 87% of the time, but there is something else you receive from “working”. A type of pride you receive from a career and a sense of validation outside of the role of Mommy… And this show has provided that for me.

Ironically, it’s a show about Motherhood, but my life is chock full of irony, so this is not too surprising.

As the countdown to the show date rapidly approaches (8 days!), I feel confident that Melisa and I have done a fabulous job. I hope that doesn’t sound conceited;  being proud of the work you have accomplished is a trait I want to instill in my own children, and one that we should all embrace without playing it down. We’ve worked hard, and it’s going to show. And I am proud of us both.

I now feel as though I will be “ok” when this full-time Mommy gig has closed on the final curtain call. I can now foresee what the future may hold for me as a mother whose children have grown up and out of the house… And it’s bright, and beautiful and shining and I owe this empowering feeling to LTYM, to Melisa for holding my hand as I questioned myself, and to Ann for believing in me.

Thank you all.

8 DAYS!!!

Melisa April 28, 2012 at 8:18 am

I am proud of us, too.
Darn you, I’m weepy again. Gah.

Thanks for figuratively stroking my hair on the many occasions when I was certain something was going terribly wrong (it’s how I roll, you know), and for never hanging up on me, partner. 🙂
xo

Hyacynth April 28, 2012 at 9:06 am

I am so thankful for all of the beauty that is coming out of this show! There is just so much!

Karen April 28, 2012 at 9:28 am

I don’t want this to end.

kim/reluctant renovator April 28, 2012 at 9:38 am

It’s going to be great! What a wonderful example to your children (and all of us, really) about the rewards of stretching, putting yourself out of your comfort zone and working hard at something you love.

Ann April 28, 2012 at 10:48 am

It just keeps getting better! WAIT until SHOW DAY!!! I’m SO impressed with what you’ve guys have accomplished. xoxoxo

Alexandra April 28, 2012 at 11:03 am

LTYM changed my life.

To give someone a voice is to give them who they are.

I am someone solid, to myself.

To present to others is a fantastic feeling, but to present to ME: being someone to myself, is something I never felt before.

LTYM gave me this when they helped me to find my identity, by allowing me to be heard. My voice carried out to others is an experience I WISH for every single person out there.

I wish there was something like LTYM for seniors, who are no longer part of the workings of the world. I wish there was a LTYM for teens, who are lost in forming who they are–and sometimes find themselves all alone. I wish there was a LTYM for men in the world, who find themselves in untraditional roles.

I wish everyone in the world had FIVE MINUTES to just.be.heard.

I love this series with a passion and will support it in every way I can, because hearing the cast members read, being part of the process, reading about all of it via this blog: it all makes me into more of a person than I ever was.

And being a mother is at the core of my life. I want to celebrate that, be proud of it, and never feel embarrassed that I’m “just a SAHM.”

tracey May 2, 2012 at 11:27 am

Alexandra, so many ideas! Maybe those other shows could come about, someday… 🙂

Stacey April 28, 2012 at 11:05 am

xoxoxoxo

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: