I speak for the entire Charleston Production Team when I tell you that we are buzzing with excitement!
2017 marks the Grand Finale Season of Listen To Your Mother, and we are thrilled to make this season, our last show here in Charleston, the most amazing, best, ultimate representation of Motherhood yet. And we have a grand tradition to build on!
But here’s the thing: We can’t produce this show without a cast who sign up to audition and come out with all their own love and enthusiasm and original words. Every inch of our show depends on you, our community artists. Here’s your chance to tell your story.
Auditions for Listen To Your Mother: Charleston are officially scheduled for Sunday, January 29 (1 p.m. to 6 p.m.) and Tuesday January 31 (5:30 to 9 p.m.) We will be meeting at the offices of Every Busy Woman 763 Meeting St.
As you write, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Your story should be 3-5 minutes long. This is typically 2 type-written pages, but it all depends on your reading style. Try reading your story out loud, time yourself, and edit if necessary.
- Your story must have motherhood as it’s central theme. You don’t have to be a mother or have a mother, but you do have to write about motherhood.
- Your story must be original to you. It’s YOUR story that we want to hear. All of our experiences with motherhood are different, and part of what makes our show so amazing is the richness and diversity of stories and voices represented.
- Watch and listen to some of the past stories from the Listen To Your Mother YouTube Channel. They are fantastic. And check out the stories from past Charleston shows. Here’s 2014, 2015, and 2016.
- Auditions are in a relaxed, respectful environment where you will read your story for only Charleston’s Production team made up of Anna Hartman (me), Becca Finley, Jennifer Buddin, and Meredith Betzhold.
- Please bring an extra copy with you to leave with the production team.
Stories will be chosen based on how the stories fit together, not necessarily how much we love any individual piece. Think of a Listen to Your Mother Show as a quilt that is beautiful because of how all of the individual pieces compliment each other. That’s how our show works. But your story is unique and amazing because it’s YOUR story, regardless of whether or not it’s right for this show.
Thanks for sharing your story with us, and we can’t wait to hear from you!
If you are unable to make it to either of these scheduled audition dates, please email (LTYMCharleston@gmail.com) and let us know. We want to be sure everyone gets the opportunity to be heard!
Listen to Your Mother Charleston will be Saturday, April 29th at Circular Church in downtown Charleston!by