Welcome to #LTYM 2017!

Tickets on sale now!

Listen To Your Mother 2017: Our Grand Finale Season

by Ann on August 30, 2016

Raleigh-Durham LTYM stage by Jess Rotenberg Photography

Raleigh-Durham LTYM stage by Jess Rotenberg Photography

In 2010 Listen To Your Mother put forth a mission:

The mission of each LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER production is to take the audience on a well-crafted journey that celebrates and validates mothering through giving voice to motherhood–in all of its complexity, diversity, and humor–in the form of original readings performed live on-stage by their authors. To date LTYM local director/producers have hosted over 150 live shows in 54 cities. LTYM hosts 2000 videos from those shows on our YouTube channel, which features a wide array of powerful voices capturing all facets of contemporary parenting as well as stories about our own upbringing.

LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER aims to support motherhood creatively through artistic expression, and also financially–through contributions to non-profit organizations supporting families in need. Each LTYM show donates a minimum of 10% of ticket proceeds to a local cause, as well as providing the cause awareness/fund-raising opportunities. To date Listen To Your Mother shows have raised over $100,000 for local nonprofit causes supporting women and families in need.

As we approach our 2017 season, Listen To Your Mother can say with triumph: Mission accomplished. We’ve hit our stride! And like each live LTYM show, we aim to culminate this project on a high note with a grand finale season!!

LTYM’s pride for the tremendous work of our local director/producers and storytellers overflows, and we rejoice in all the positive changes inspired by LTYM in people’s individual lives, relationships, and in collaboration with their communities.

Listen To Your Mother will not call for new cities in 2017*. Rather, we task ourselves once again to reach out further and go deeper into our returning local cities; to find and include new voices with new stories to tell, as we give motherhood a microphone in celebration of Mother’s Day 2017.

Join us as we celebrate our most meaningful season yet–our grand finale–with our line-up of returning cities to be announced soon. Subscribe to our e-newsletter and follow our social accounts (search LTYMShow and #LTYM) for updates.

Most importantly, plan to celebrate Mother’s Day with us — in 29 cities — in 2017!

*Please read our BREAKING NEWS UPDATE as LTYM has become a licensed theatrical production!

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail
alexandra rosas August 30, 2016 at 7:51 am

Beyond grateful, proud, amazed, that I was able to be part of LTYM. I saw lives changed, I witnessed my own take on wings. Thank you, Ann Imig, thank you national LTYM team, and thank you for the past four years to our MKE show cast. What you’ve done here, Ann, is nothing short of life affirming and replenishing soul work. THANK YOU for so much. Listen To Your Mother is a forever thing, for thousands of us.: as readers, as presenters, as producers, as sponsors, and as the fortunate audiences.

Ann August 30, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Alexandra, thanks in no small part to YOU. To 2017 and beyond!!

Angie Mizzell August 30, 2016 at 7:57 am

Directing the Charleston show for two years will always be something that I look back on as one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done. I can’t imagine not knowing Ann and Melisa, and all of the other wonderful people who made this movement possible.

Melisa August 30, 2016 at 8:46 am

Love you!

Ann August 30, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Angie you are a DELIGHT. I’ve loved working with you, and you got us off to such a strong start in Charleston. Thank you!

Kate Mayer August 30, 2016 at 7:59 am

LTYM was the first time I realized my stories matter; that people will actually listen, read, and resonate with my words. I will be forever grateful for the LTYM vote of confidence, the opportunity to share, and the network of love created by this movement. THANK YOU forever.

Ann August 30, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Kathy I’ll never forget listening to you in NYC and meeting you and your beautiful kids!! Thank you for all of your support forever!!

Linda Chong August 30, 2016 at 8:52 am

I have “liked” you guys for a year now but never figured out how to hook up with folks in Los Angeles. Please help. Thanks.

Ann August 30, 2016 at 2:36 pm

We’ll announce our cities soon. Best to subscribe to our e-newsletter for updates. ( http://eepurl.com/h_0BU )Thanks for following along, Linda!

Melissa St. P. August 30, 2016 at 8:57 am

I loved being a part of the Metro Detroit cast in 2016, and I will continue to support LTYM this season. A lady knows how to make an exit I suppose. Thank you to LTYM for giving me the courage I needed to share my work with a wider audience.

Ann August 30, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us, Melissa!

Anna Whiston-Donaldson August 30, 2016 at 9:25 am

I am proud to have been part of it!

Ann August 30, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Your reading is unforgettable. Like you, Anna. Thank you.

Lisha Fink August 30, 2016 at 9:27 am

Being part of the LTYM community has been life-changing for me. It has awakened something beautiful, and I am forever grateful to Ann and the rest of the national team for allowing me to be part of the magic. Here’s to an incredible Grand Finale season!!

Ann August 30, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Lisha thank you for taking your LTYM magic and delivering it to New Orleans!! 2017 or bust!! xo

Ellie August 30, 2016 at 9:37 am

So proud that St. Louis has been part of the LTYM family since 2013–thank you for giving us a platform to tell our stories. Look out 2017–the best is yet to come!

Ann August 30, 2016 at 2:39 pm

ELLIE WE ARE SO THRILLED YOU’RE BACK!

Linda Lowen August 30, 2016 at 9:38 am

LTYM has been important in so many ways, but its impact as a vehicle empowering women to write down their stories and tell them in their own voices, well… nobody is going to match that anytime soon.

I was lucky going into the auditions–I’m a writer and I do a weekly radio show for an NPR affiliate–so I understood what was involved. But I was stunned by the raw talent and authentic power of the women in my cast (LTYM Rochester 2016); I felt shallow and frivolous compared to the depth and passion of their personal insights. And so many said they hadn’t felt their stories were worthwhile until LTYM!

There’s a real void in opportunities that encourage women to speak out and speak in their own voices, and LTYM did this so beautifully, covering universal themes that resonate with all audiences.

I’m sorry 2017 will be the last year, and grateful for the sisterhood that has formed among my cast members. It’s a bond that will last a lifetime.

Ann August 30, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Linda, thank you so much for sharing your experience with our Rochester show and especially for your funny sweet story. We all appreciate these generous supportive words about the project, and I agree that the spirit of LTYM will live on in 2017 and far beyond!

Virginia Woodruff August 30, 2016 at 9:46 am

My experience in the Austin cast was life-changing. I was so impressed with the brave and humorous stories told, and have attended every show since. LTYM will be sorely missed!

Ann August 30, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Virginia you are wonderful. Thank you for sharing your words and support year after year!

Carisa Miller August 30, 2016 at 11:37 am

What a run! We in Portland are so lucky to have been a part of this loving and supportive, community building, storytelling marvel. Thank you, THANK YOU, and congratulations!

Ann August 30, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Having a Portland show and you, Kelli, and Susan at the helm was a huge boon for LTYM. Forever grateful for you all and your dazzling shows.

Nina August 30, 2016 at 1:46 pm

I am beyond blessed to have been a part of this community of story tellers. I have gained so much from everyone, including the Chicago audience and especially our cast members and fearless leaders, Melisa and Tracey. Can’t wait to celebrate the 2017 finale season with you all!

Ann August 30, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Melisa and Tracey make an unbeatable team! The community they’ve created inspires the entire project to be better. Nina thank you so much for taking the LTYM leap with us in 2016!

Mary Catherine August 30, 2016 at 6:15 pm

I’m so glad I got to be a part of the Charleston LTYM. I’m sorry 2017 will be the finale year! I was looking forward to many more years of opportunities to listen and participate! It’s been a blessing to me. It’s helped me find my voice among the quiet that is my life.

Ann September 1, 2016 at 3:45 pm

We’ve loved our Charleston show and LTYM community. Thank you for joining us Mary, and for lending your voice.

Teri Biebel August 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm

I’m so blessed to have been a part of the 2016 LTYM Baltimore show. I will never forget this amazing experience and thank you, Ann and the two amazing Baltimore directors Taya and Arlene for letting me tell my story.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Ann September 1, 2016 at 3:46 pm

I was so happy to meet you and listen! Thank you for sharing your story with us, Teri.

Glynis Ratcliffe August 30, 2016 at 7:35 pm

I’m so sad you never made it to Toronto! This was a dream of mine. Congrats on such a successful run!

Ann September 1, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Maybe you can make it to Vancouver? Thank you, Glynis.

Kathy Curto August 30, 2016 at 7:39 pm

When I saw this news about the final show I went back to an email exchange between Ann and I in January 2014. Here’s what I wrote:
“I’ve come to understand my participation in LTYM/NYC 2012 as one of those life experiences that I’ll never really stop experiencing. I share my LTYM story (from my audition butterflies, to the rehearsals, to the new friendships formed to the great vibe at the first NYC show, etc.) with so many people I meet–students, fellow writers, colleagues and even some of the new parents I encounter along the way.”

Nothing much has changed since then except I’ve collected even more friends and listened to even more stories of hope and humility. Thank you, LTYM storytellers, for your words and your courage. Thank you, Ann, for your vision and grace.

Ann September 1, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Kathy you’ve been a great LTYM ambassador. Thank you for all of your enthusiasm and energy for LTYM, and for sharing your writing talents so generously. Hug!

Kim Thompson Steel August 30, 2016 at 7:51 pm

Wow, this is HUGE. I am so proud of everything LTYM has accomplished, and the two years that I produced a show in San Francisco (2012/2014) with my compatriot Kirsten. I still think it is one of the greatest events I’ve seen produced, giving power to the written and spoken word of mothers everywhere. Mazel tov Ann and everyone involved in the organization. I can’t wait to see what’s next!

Ann September 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Kim thank you for taking this leap with us and for investing so much of your talents and time in LTYM (and stunningly beautiful photographs to boot!)

Jennifer Ball August 30, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Oh my. Loved being in the first Twin Cities cast, loved being in the book, loved meeting new sisters, loved being part of something so sweet and magical.

Thank you, Ann. We all listened ❤️

Ann September 1, 2016 at 3:51 pm

I love your story, Jennifer and “We all listened” made my heart swell. xo

Kristi Rieger Campbell August 31, 2016 at 5:45 am

Reading in DC’s Listen to Your Mother was one of the most empowering and memorable experiences of my life. Thank you Ann, Kate, and Stephanie. I’m so grateful and proud to have been a part of this and know that the finale will be nothing less than exceptional.

Ann September 1, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Thank you so much Kristi. Your story has resonated with so many and will continue to do so.

Sonya August 31, 2016 at 7:36 am

Being cast in LTYM DC 2015 will forever be “the reason I started writing”. So thankful to you Ann, Kate, and Stephanie for the privilege of being a part of this show. It really did change my life.

Ann September 1, 2016 at 3:54 pm

I LOVE this, Sonya. I think at the end of all this, LTYM has become a prompt that inspires people to create and get their work/themselves out there. Just like you!

Kristen Hewitt August 31, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Congrats on a fabulous run! I wish we could have done one in the Sunshine State – Florida loves you!

Ann September 1, 2016 at 3:57 pm

It is surprising we never ended up in Florida, I agree. Thanks for your kind words, Kristen!

Tricia August 31, 2016 at 8:48 pm

I don’t have the words to express how LTYM has been a part of my life since you launched the first show, until this year when I was privileged enough to be a part of the DC cast. It was an incredibly powerful, life/changing and empowering experience – the bonds formed with amazing women we’ll never forget – incredulous. Not to mention the joy of working with Stephanie and Kate – professional, encouraging and beautiful people. Bravo to Ann for envisioning this movement and bringing it to the rest of us. 💜💜

Ann September 1, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Stephanie and Kate are a top-notch duo, I agree! Tricia thanks so much for being a part of the show and DC LTYM community, and for sharing your own story.

Estelle Erasmus August 31, 2016 at 9:00 pm

LTYM 2012 and being a part of the inaugural NYC cast played a pivotal role in getting me back into the spotlight after a long hiatus out of it. I will never forget the impact your creation had on my life. My essay was the first personal essay I had written after the birth of my daughter after a long career as a service journalist/magazine editor and it launched my enthusiasm for the genre. Thank you Ann!

Ann September 1, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Estelle you were luminous on that stage and watching your career skyrocket since then has been amazing to witness. Wishing you continued success and so much gratitude for championing LTYM always.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: