AUSTIN! We’re ready for your stories. We know that you’re still recovering from the holiday season and making your resolutions. Here’s one for your resolution list: submit your story!
Susanne and I are ready to begin the process for the SEVENTH ANNUAL Listen To Your Mother in Austin! Today is the day we start taking submissions and start reading your stories.
What story? Maybe it’s the one in your head right now. Maybe it’s a story of being a mom, not being a mom, having a mom, losing a mom, finding a mom, or becoming a mom or a parent–the true story that only you can tell. The main theme of your piece must have something to do with motherhood, but you do not have to be a mother (or a professional writer!) to submit an essay.
If you have submitted and/or auditioned before, PLEASE don’t give up. Some of our cast members have tried out for the third time when it was the perfect fit. You have great stories and we want to read them.
Who, me? We always look for a diverse mix of stories. In addition, we look for funny essays, sad essays, and everything in between. You don’t have to be a mom to be in the show. You don’t even have to be a woman. We welcome all stories of motherhood from all people. Maybe you’re a son with a story to tell, or a brother, or a friend. If you have a story about motherhood, you qualify.
This is not a show for professional speakers/writers (though we welcome all levels of experience). LTYM is about Motherhood, and Motherhood is for EVERYONE.
How/When? We’ll be taking submissions from January 2-February 2. Invitations for auditions will be issued on or before February 18, and auditions will take place before the end of February. If you are invited to audition, we’ll send you a VolunteerSpot form to choose an audition time.
- The theme is motherhood, what you do with this is up to you. But your story has to center around motherhood — the good, the bad, the beautiful, the ugly, the sad, the scary, and, of course, the golden.
- Tell the story only you can tell. Be detailed.
- Each essay must be 5 minutes or less when read aloud. This is approximately 2-3 pages, depending on content and speaking style. Please note that all essays are subject to light editing, for time or other reasons if eventually selected for our show.
- Pieces should not be memorized. We read directly from the page on show day.
- To prepare to submit your piece, watch some of our previous readers on our LTYMShow YouTube channel.
- Keep in mind that we advertise our show as PG-13 due to some mature topics. Anything with strong language may be edited for a wide audience (but 4-letter words are not taboo).
- You must be the sole author and owner of all rights to your piece. (Yes, it’s okay if your essay has been published before, online or otherwise, as long as it still belongs to you.)
- ONLY ONE SUBMISSION PER PERSON. If you can’t decide between two, please don’t send both; ask someone close to you to help decide on ONE before emailing us.
- Consider yourself booked on show day. We’ll have a tech rehearsal that day, time to be determined.
- There are two mandatory group rehearsals in the months prior to the show. These are mandatory because we need to hear your story with the others to know how they’ll all best fit together to tell a collective story of motherhood.
- Before auditions, practice reading your story out loud. We want to get a taste for what our audience will hear and feel on April 29th.
- Plan to attend a show. LTYM cannot exist without our live audience to bear witness to our stories and give energy to our readers (many of whom have never done anything like this!). Plus, attending a show with friends and loved ones can generate new connections– many stories get told in the lobby after our shows, in the ladies room, or in the car ride home with your mom or grandma, sister or daughter. Participating in LTYM builds community!
Send us your completed piece now via Submittable!
We will accept submissions from today, January 2, through February 2, 2017. Any entries received after 11:59 p.m. on February 2 cannot be considered for the 2017 show. We will confirm your email was received as soon as possible.
Invitations to audition will be sent on or before February 18.
It is our honor to read and hear your stories.
Susanne and Kristin
Please note that all cities have their own guidelines and if you’re interested in any other show you should check their local website for details, which will be updated according to their own schedules!