Meet Austin’s 2013 cast

by Liz on April 23, 2013

Our tribute to all things motherhood is less than 3 weeks away! We are loving the rehearsal time with our cast and can’t wait for you to meet them and hear their beautiful, hilarious stories.

But first, let’s talk freebies…We are giving away two tickets to our Austin show on Thursday, May 9th at 7pm. To enter, simply leave a comment below telling us the name of your mother or your mother’s nickname for you. Winner will be announced May 3rd. And if you don’t win, no worries…we still have tickets for sale here.

And now, put your hands together for the 2013 Cast of Austin’s Listen to Your Mother show…

LAUREN BAYNE – Since the day she was told, “You’re not technically in labor, we can’t give you an epidural yet,” Lauren Bayne has been a student in motherhood’s classroom. Her degree in advertising, coupled with her career as a copywriter, a creative recruiter and an entrepreneur, occasionally resulted in mass confusion as to which direction to head. That all changed the day her sons were born. Today, she is the proud co-founder of the wildly popular TX M.I.L.K. (Texas Moms I’d Like to Know) multi-media company. Her passion for showcasing the many definitions of motherhood can be seen through her interviews, essays, appearances and events at TXMILK.com

AVA LOVE HANNA is a writer and public speaker living in Austin, Texas. When not fulfilling her lifelong dream of writing bios in the third person, she enjoys spending time with her family, collecting weird toys, and writing letters to her congressman about society’s lack of jetpacks. Her work has been found taped to the inside of prestigious literary journals and she once rode in a car with a Pushcart nominee named Stan. She is continually amazed by how often she is mistaken for a real grown up. Read about her adventures in parenting, writing, and being obsessed with Doctor Who at avalovehanna.com

JILL KRAUSE is the voice behind BabyRabies.com, a blog she started when her baby fever took a turn for the serious and became baby rabies. She’s chronicled her journey through pregnancy and motherhood ever since, and is now the mother of a 5 year-old son, a 2 year-old daughter, and is expecting her 3rd baby this summer. Jill also really enjoys chaos and never-ending to-do lists (and sarcasm), so she freelances and consults on social media and blogger relations, and she mentors other bloggers. On her free time, which is actually time she should be sleeping, she loves to focus on growing as a photographer so she can better capture the beautiful moments in life with her family, like when her daughter throws a tantrum in the middle of a field of bluebonnets.

MAX LANGERT’S plays have been performed in New York, Boston, L.A. and Amsterdam, and he’s won awards in Nashville, New Orleans and Austin, where his work has been named Best of the Fest at Fronterafest three out of the past five years. Originally from Oakland, California, he’s been in Austin over a decade and has two sons who are a couple of the best proofreaders he knows.

TRISTAN YOUNG MERCADO is a Carolina Mama living in Texas, who writes and raises her young’un the best way she knows how.  Between caring for her son and husband, she’s sweeping dog hair and writing about the relentless cast of crazy characters known as her family.  Currently, she’s putting finishing touches on a recently completed screenplay and beefing up her blog titled, A Light Blue Spot.

CYNTHIA MILLER is a veteran media consultant and one of the few women partners at a national Democratic media firm. Cynthia began her career at the Kennedy School of Government as an undergrad at Harvard University. She continued on Capitol Hill and with dozens of campaigns around the country, arriving in Texas with Governor Ann Richards. Cynthia’s writing, political, and musical skills enable her to create award-winning spots that move hearts and minds. She guest lectures at the University of Texas and has trained for the National Women’s Political Caucus and Annie’s List.

BERNADETTE NOLL is a mother of four, one of nine children, improvisational crafter, and author, whose latest book, Slow Family Living; 75 Simple Ways to Slow Down, Connect and Create More Joy came out this year from Perigee publishing. Born and raised in New Jersey, she has called Austin home for the past 20+ years; 18 of those with her husband Kenny. She immerses herself and her children annually in the culture of her motherland to escape the heat and be with family. She blogs at Slowfamilyliving.com.

KIMBERLY PARSONS – At 37, Kimberly Parsons is still deciding what she wants to be when she grows up. She is currently trying her hand at stay-at-home mom, runner and writer in Waco, where she and her husband, Jamey, live with their two young sons. With degrees in music and a teaching certificate, she was most recently a public school choral director, but has also worked in music administration and public relations, stage managing and performing in opera and musical theater. In the future, she would like to try being a public school principal, fitness instructor and fiddle player. (And maybe a cabaret singer if she can find the time.) She blogs at www.snitsandgiggles.com.

RUTH PENNEBAKER’S debut adult novel, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakthrough, was released in 2011. She’s also written three highly acclaimed young-adult novels, Don’t Think Twice, Conditions of Love, and Both Sides Now, as well as essays and articles for The New York Times, The Dallas Morning News, Parents, Redbook, McCall’s,Cooking Light and other nationwide publications. Her favorite newspaper columns are collected in A Texas Family Time Capsule. Her blog, Fabulous Geezersisters, was called a must-read by The Huffington Post. Ms. Pennebaker lives with her mad-scientist husband in downtown Austin, hoping this will make them look cool. They are parents of an adult daughter and son.

NITA RAO has written on pop culture, books, and domestic life for such sites and publications as Facebook, The Village Voice, Audible, and Utne Reader.
A freelance research editor for Smithsonian Magazine, she lives in Austin with her husband, Mike, and hopes raising awareness of Pulmonary Fibrosis helps find a cure for the disease.

NETTIE REYNOLDS is a writer, performer, hula hooper and ukulele player. By day she writes content for companies online and by night she dons her creative cape and works on her ukulele novel. Nettie is a Certified Laughter Yoga instructor and her website is www.austinlaughyoga.com.

KRISTIN SHAW is a marketing manager by day, writer by night, a full-time wife of an Austin native, and mother of a mini-Texan. Her favorite things are family, 80s hair bands, classic cars, sports, Italy, and dessert; not necessarily in that order.  She started keeping journals at age 14 and promises that her current writing contains much less teenage angst than it did then. You can reach her via Twitter (@AustinKVS), her blog, Two Cannoli, or on The Huffington Post, where she is a featured blogger.

DONNA VAN CLEVE is a quiet librarian by profession and a loud writer by heart. Writing helped her survive the empty nest years, which eventually led to publishing five novels of a planned ten set in Texas. Donna is a mother and grandmother who lives with her parents in a restored Victorian home just outside of Austin. They’re still waiting for her to leave the nest. Links to her four blogs are at DonnaVanCleve.com.

Directors/Producers Wendi Aarons and Elizabeth McGuire will also read at the show.

We hope to see you on Thursday, May 9th at 7pm. Get your tickets today!

Wendy April 23, 2013 at 4:01 am

Hoping to win those tickets for me and my mom Irma!

Stacie Collins April 23, 2013 at 2:30 pm

My mother’s name is UAnn Foreman. I kid you not, her name is UAnn (nice Cajun name). Anyway, the only nickname my mother had for me was our dog’s name, Peppi.

Mom had four kids and was always flustered and in a hurry. I was the youngest and a real challenge for my mother. Often when she was frustrated, she would accidentally call me (shout) “Peppi!!!” At that time, Peppi was a huge source of frustration for her too. My poor Mother – I gave her a run for her money!!!

Steph April 23, 2013 at 2:33 pm

My mama’s nickname for me was “princess.” Funny, she called my brother “Tigger.” Thanks for the contest.

Teri Sperry April 23, 2013 at 3:02 pm

My mom’s affectionate nickname for me was Tojo because when I was a chubby-cheeked infant I looked EXACTLY like a then-famous professional wrestler named Tojo Yamamoto. I have just now looked him up on Wikipedia, which tells me that he was promoted in Nashville as “the most hated wrestler of all time” and “the epitome of evil.” Hmm…

ashley April 23, 2013 at 3:53 pm

my mother’s name is “lana kay” but she goes by “kasey”. her two siblings + my two siblings don’t go by their first names- i’m the only one.

her nickname for me growing up was “grumpy bear”- as in the care bear, grumpy bear… which i’m pretty sure is self explanatory. 🙂

Aimee Gonzalez April 23, 2013 at 4:46 pm

My mom’s name is Kimberley. She is pretty awesome. Now that I have two little boys, I have come to appreciate her in such a more profound way.

Annmarie April 23, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Dora is my mothers name- she still calls me Annie!

Taryn @ More Skees Please April 23, 2013 at 5:08 pm

My mom always called me Peanut cause I was so tiny. Let it be known that I outgrew that nickname in more ways than one! 😉

Coco April 23, 2013 at 6:06 pm

My Mom’s name is Barbara. I had no nickname (since it kind of sounds like one already!) but her nickname was Boo.

Shana April 23, 2013 at 6:48 pm

My mom’s name is Beverly, a name she always hated. And she has many a nickname for me: shrimp, moo, shanie, shanabear. I like to call her moms, mommala, mommers or say, “Hey ma”, like a good New Yorker.

Stefani Zellmer April 23, 2013 at 7:23 pm

My mom’s name is Pat. But some people like to address her as Mr. Zellmer. Mostly through the post office.

She’s simply called me Stef for most of my life, except for a few times during the teenage years when she called me “bitch.” (I’m pretty sure I deserved it.)

Kate Harrison April 23, 2013 at 8:30 pm

My mother’s name was FayNell and her nick name for me was Kas.

Taylor Harrison April 23, 2013 at 8:35 pm

My mom’s name is Kathryn and/or Kate and her nickname for me at varying times growing up and currently is/was Taylo, TayTay, Tay, Sister, or Mi Hija.

Isabel April 23, 2013 at 9:27 pm

My mom’s name is Norma and she usually called me Michelle, Veronica, Rosie, or even Rick before she remembered my name. Final count for our family is 8 kids. Now that I have 2 of my own I do the wrong name thing, too. 🙂

Noelle Newby April 24, 2013 at 12:31 pm

My mothers name is Mary Gordon Spence. She’s called me many things over the years but Dear Heart is one of my favorites.

Sharon Laidlaw-Almaguer April 24, 2013 at 3:40 pm

My mom’s name was Jeannette, and–seems crazy, now that I read these other comments!–but she didn’t have any nickname for me at all. Lots of love, though!

Linda April 24, 2013 at 11:24 pm

My mom’s name is Virginia, so of course my brother’s teenage friends used to refer to her as Virgin.

Cassandra April 25, 2013 at 11:06 pm

My Mom’s name is Gail. In my youth, my nickname was ‘Candi’, which she shortened to ‘Can’. She also called my Josephine when she was in a sassy mood, or was that when I was in a sassy mood.
The performance looks wonderful. Thanks for the contest.

Carol Ramsey April 26, 2013 at 1:51 am

My Mom’s name is Lillian. All the kids were called ‘pumpkin’ now and then, which always confused me a little, because I didn’t know how I was really like a pumpkin.

Wendy C April 26, 2013 at 3:01 am

Mama called me punkin’, not pumpkin, just punkin’. Miss her loads.

Adam Greenup April 26, 2013 at 3:44 pm

My mother’s name is Rebecca but I call her Baggs. She has called me moo boy for as long as I can remember. We’d love to see the show!

Ellen April 29, 2013 at 2:59 pm

My wonderful mother’s name was Joan, and she called all five of us “Chick” — as in “her little chickadees.” If I win, I’ll have to go see my son in Austin so we can go together — thank you!

Consuelo Garner May 1, 2013 at 1:56 am

My Grandmother’s name was Consuelo.
My Mother’s name was Consuelo.
My name is Consuelo.
People always called my Grandmother “Chelito”, my Mother ” Chelo” and my nickname is “Chely”
I am so proud of our name that means “Consolation”

Torie May 1, 2013 at 1:33 pm

My mom’s name is Karen. I honestly don’t remember her calling me anything but Torie. Weird.

Kim May 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm

My mom’s name is Marjorie, but at some point in my adolescence I began calling her by the nickname kids gave her when she was young: Mud. 30 years later, my mom is still “Mud” to some of my friends from junior high.

If I’d been a boy, my parents planned to name me Carlos Ricardo — Ricky for short — so before I was born, they took to calling me KimRick (and they went so far as to write a prenatal “limerick for kimerick”). The nickname stuck for much longer than my mother’s pregnancy lasted.

LTYM Austin May 3, 2013 at 11:48 am

Congratulations to Linda!
You won the two tickets to next week’s show! We emailed you with details. Thanks so much to everyone who participated…we look forward to seeing you (and maybe your moms?) on Thursday at 7pm!

free baby stuff and samples June 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Additionally some of the nicer pools which offer private cabanas have
excellent outdoor entertainment and dining options making the experience particularly
enjoyable. And even if you manage to get hold of discount vouchers for some of
the bigger items, such as the pram and a car seat, it could be
helpful to talk to other mums about the bigger items before
you splash out to see what they recommend.
The next time you have an ant problem in your house,
think of this article and choose either a natural repellent or
insecticide remedy.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 2 trackbacks }